Following the honeymoon, Brett and I decided that we needed to institute a weekly “date night” to spend quality time together. Not long after that, I started reading and working on Vein of Gold, which requires me to take myself on “artist dates” each week.
This means that I’m brainstorming lots and lots of date ideas. Some are for both Brett and I. Some are for just me. Some are interchangeable. The goal for date night dates is to experience new things together and to explore a little. It doesn’t have to cost money, and it doesn’t have to be a “traditional” date idea. (I can only handle watching about 1 movie per month, maximum, so that’s a limited option.) The goal behind artist dates is to let my inner child out to play. They don’t have to be out of the house. They don’t have to cost money, and they don’t have to be extravagant. But they can be. The only rule is that they are weekly, and they are done by myself.
I thought I’d jot down a few of my date ideas and see if anyone has any more….
- Picnic in the park on a nice day
- Catch a free concert
- See a play, show or act
- One person drives the other into the middle of nowhere blindfolded, and the other has to get us home without GPS
- Read to each other
Interchangeable (could be couple or individual) :
- Go to a firing range
- Go for a walk in the woods
- Visit the botanical gardens
- Attend a book reading / signing
- take a class (of any sort – cooking, improv, dancing, karate, sewing, wine tasting….)
- Try a boxing gym
- Other museums?
- cook together
(I’ve brainstormed these before, here’s a list of examples.)
- Go to the art museum and take notes of impressions and ideas that come up
- Attend an open mic night (join in?)
- cook, bake, sculpt, paint, draw, sew, collage – create something without writing
Do you have any ideas? Throw them in the comments!