At the beginning of the summer, my Twitter friend Nicky at Artipeeps asked whether I’d like to participate in a collaboration. I said yes.
The “Hot Potato” project is simple. Each writer gets “passed” a story in turn to add 500 words to the flow. I was the fourth “potato” pass, and I received the tale and then passed it along.
Here is the story to date:
- Part 1 by Ben Cooper – Robo-girl
- Part 2 by Gail Aldwin – Chloe
- Part 3 by CJ Sullivan – Carnival
- Part 4 (my part) – Don’t touch!
- …. (the next installment, by Laura Besley isn’t due out for another 2 weeks!)
- There are actually 3 more installments after hers, as well…. it’s all so very exciting.
As a reader, I noticed the vast differences in style between Ben and Gail, Gail and CJ.
As a writer, I tried to tug some of the mystery and sadness from Ben’s portion up into the current bit of the story. Like the others, I left a few interesting toys on the floor for the next writers to play with.
Have to admit, I was pretty daunted once I caught the potato. I was assailed by self-doubt and concern that I wouldn’t “live up to” the work of the storytellers before me. I can only hope I tossed the potato gently on to Laura.